A successful web design is not just about having appealing look and feel for your website but it is a lot more than that. The success mantra for a website design lies largely in the amount of ease with which a user can interact with it to get the desired information and to perform the desired action. This is what the expert web designers keep in mind while crafting beautiful user experiences with the help of their designs. So, the website that results is not only appealing in its look and feel but it is also functional, speedy, interactive and highly responsive. Here’s a check-list of the advanced website design concept that your website should follow to support high online visibility & business growth:
1) Structure your website intuitively
The website you design should have high usability sufficient for a visitor to easily understand which way to go and what action to take the next. A highly intuitive structure helps them eliminate the need to think too much about the website navigation and the key brand message that the website strives to convey. If a user can interact with your website and its pages in a self-explanatory fashion, this makes your website highly usable and engaging.
2) Follow clear visual hierarchy
Visual hierarchy is the order in which our eyes intuitively move from one element (content/image) to the other. It is an effective way in which we can navigate the end user from a highly important element to a lesser important one. You can create a clear visual hierarchy for your website pages in by opting for a ‘size hierarchy’, wherein you keep the size of the most important element as the largest and follow decreasing order of size as per the decreasing importance of each element. Alternatively, you can create a hierarchy of content, wherein you can place the content in such a way that the eyes of a visitor intuitively move from the most important to the least important elements of the content.
3) Simple design with balanced white space
The simpler your website design, the more effective it is. Maintaining a good amount and good balance of white space on your web pages helps you keep the cognitive load of information, off your website. This eventually helps the users perceive the information in a hassle-free manner. Here are some of the elements of a simple web design:
- A grid-based layout divides the content into columns, boxes and sections and makes your web layout more systematic eliminating any chances of it looking messy.
- The simple design usually complies with the regular scanning pattern of the human eye, i.e: the ‘F’ pattern. So, designing a website as per the ‘F’ pattern of reading or scanning makes it naturally user-friendly.
- Visitors do not like unpredictability when it comes to your website design and therefore, the conventional designs work better to build trust among the users, as compared to some eerie patterns in the name of design.
4) Make information easily accessible
Not only your website, but every bit of information on your website should be easily accessible. To make this possible, you should make all the text easily readable with neat fonts and clear contrast with its background which should be a non-distracting one. Additionally, the colours should be easy on the eyes. While choosing the font type and font size you should take care of your target audience and make it readable to them. Choice of colour theme and contrast should strive to create a visual harmony for the users. Use right kind of images as and when needed on your website to communicate your brand message with the maximum effect – as images when used appropriately, convey information much more effectively than any amount of text would.
5) Eliminate distracting options
Provide your visitors with the least number of choices possible at each decision point to make it easy for them to arrive at a decision while browsing through your site. This does not only help you create a good user experience but it also helps you eventually shorten your online sales cycle. As stated by the Hick’s law, “more options mean less sales”, going by this, keep the number of options provided to the audience to as limited as possible.
6) Communicate with compelling content
When we speak about communicating with compelling content, by content, we do not only mean the written information but our focus is mainly on the ‘visible language’ in which we connect with the visitor. ‘Visible language’ is what the users see on the screen and how they connect with the combination of the visuals and the written information with your branding message. Here are the key elements of the visible language that you need to consider:
- Organize – You need to organize and place the information blocks in an easy-to-process manner to let your website communicate and connect with your audience effectively. This serves them with a highly consistent layout structure.
- Economize – By economy, we mean the delivery of maximum information with the minimum use of visuals with sufficient emphasis on the important aspects of the content. This renders the layout of your website simple and easy to perceive.
- Communicate – You should strive to have a user interface that lets you bring in a balance between readability, clear understanding of the offerings, colour, texture and views.
7) Test early & test often
The usability testing of your website should be performed as often as possible to bring out all possible issues and complications related to the working of the website that root from its layout design. So, the concept of ‘TETO’ or ‘Test Early, Test Often’ is extremely useful, when it comes to continuous improvement of the website to end up making it highly usable and provide a great user experience.
Using these advanced concepts of web design, you can ensure the success of your website by creating an appealing site with a memorable user experience. Expert web designers are well acquainted with these concepts and their designs naturally comply with these, resulting into one successful design after the other.